Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Phajoding feat. Dr. Steve!!!

First of all: My cousin Steve Agans from the US just finished his medical Studies, and for that I wanna say:

!!!

Because of that I even undertook a pilgrimage to the 3500m high monastry Phajoding to thank all gods, no matter if they hang on a cross or sit there with just their legs crossed, for Steve's success... ;)


Yeeeaaah, ok, maybe not just because of that (even if it just gives me such a good "nice-guy" image... ;) but also because its just a magnificant place.
And also because it lies hiiiigh above Thimphu, and for the last 5 weeks when I was looking up to it it was constantly calling me - "Climb me, lukas, cliiiiiiimb meeeeeee..." ;)

So I fought my lazyness, finally packed my rucksack on Saturaday and started early to get up there and down again bevore the regular afternoon-rain.

And it WAS worth it! I love that tree you are seeing here - it's perfectly shaped and stands right in the central place of the monastry from where you have just a magnificant view on Bhutans capital!


Even if I've got to admit, that up there the air is really starting to get thin! Even for me, and I always thought I'd be a fairly fit walker, it was a quite tough job walking up from the Monastry to the next ridge on about 4100m - I even got headache, which could be interpreted as a first sign of Altitude sickness (what would you say, new dr-cousin?? ;) which quite scared me to be frank, since I always thought since I grew up in the mountains I'm kind of resistant to that...

Stupid, I know, but here we go, lesson learned: next time I'll give myself more time to walk, especially above 3500m, and won't rush up like I did it on saturday!

See you! Lukas

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hallo Lukas,
it scares me, that you have troubles with the altitude: i hope we will survive the visit in Buthan next month.... See you, have a great time
Hannelore and Thomas

leggler said...

It wasn't that bad, all I'm saying is,that its a bit higher than at home, and that the air really gets thin up here! But since we are going to do an organised trekk it will be a lot easier, since we wont have to carry anything and have more time / less time pressure!
And I also wont take you to really hard trekks, dont worry! But you'd still better get some training before you come here, it will be more enjoyable!